Medicine Review MCQs -XVI
Which of the following is Naturally occurring cysteine-rich antibacterial and antifungal polypeptides?
Defensins are naturally occurring cysteine-rich antibacterial and antifungal polypeptides
- 29–35 amino acids
Mast cells share features in common with which of the following cell?
Mast cells share features in common with - Basophils
- Histamine-containing granules
- High-affinity receptors for immunoglobulin E
All of the following are TRUE about Histamine EXCEPT -
Histamine - constitutes 10% of the mast cell’s weight
IgM is a useful diagnostic test for -
- IgM is a useful diagnostic test for recent infection.
- IgG dominates in the second exposure to antigen
CD4+ T cells also known as -
T helper cells-
- assist other lymphocytes, including maturation of B cells into plasma cells and memory B cells,
- activation of cytotoxic T cells and macrophages.
- These cells are also known as CD4+ T cells as they express the CD4 glycoprotein on their surfaces.
IgA2 concentration are higher in -
IgA exists in two isotypes, IgA1 and IgA2.
They are both heavily glycosylated proteins.
While IgA1 predominates in serum (~80%),
IgA2 percentages are higher in secretions than in serum (~35% in secretions)
Which of the following vasculitis caused by deposits of IgA?
Henoch–Schönlein purpura - Known as IgA vasculitis - is a disease of the skin, mucous membranes
All of the following are vasculitis where mostly small vessels are affected EXCEPT -
According to the size of the vessel affected, vasculitis can be classified into:
- Large vessel: Takayasu's arteritis, Temporal arteritis
- Medium vessel: Buerger's disease, Kawasaki disease, Polyarteritis nodosa
- Small vessel: Behçet's syndrome, Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis, Cutaneous vasculitis, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, Henoch–Schönlein purpura, and microscopic polyangiitis.
Which is the most commonly implicated drug in causing Linear IgA bullous dermatosis?
Most commonly implicated drug - Vancomycin
All of the following are TRUE Light-chain multiple myeloma EXCEPT -
Light-chain multiple myeloma is a less frequent type of multiple myeloma with a more aggressive course and poorer prognosis.
It is characterized by the inability of the malignant plasma cells to produce heavy chains, resulting in the exclusive production of light chains. Therefore, no M-spike is visible in serum protein electrophoresis.
Exclusive production of light chains No M-spike is visible in serum protein electrophoresis.