Medicine MCQs – 3
Which is called as 'walking pneumonia' ?
"Primary atypical pneumonia" is called primary because it develops independently of other diseases.
Known as "walking pneumonia" because its symptoms are often mild enough that one can still work and walk.
Which of the following is the most frequently reported travel-associated rickettsial infections?
Tickborne spotted fever rickettsioses are the most frequently reported travel-associated rickettsial infections.
Brill-Zinsser disease is a type of -
Brill–Zinsser disease :
- relapse of epidemic typhus, caused by Rickettsia prowazekii.
- Brill-Zinsser disease is an exacerbation of epidemic louse-borne typhus fever.
- Caused by Rickettsia prowazekii.
- Rather than being eradicated, the microorganisms become latent and reappear after several years as a milder form of the disease.
Which is the most common bacterial cause of pneumonia?
Streptococcus pneumoniae is the most common bacterial cause of pneumonia
What is the causative agent of rickettsialpox?
causative agent of rickettsialpox - R. akari
C. burnetii escapes intracellular killing in macrophages by inhibition of -
- gram-negative cell wall,
- survives in harsh environments
- escapes intracellular killing in macrophages by inhibiting the final step in phagosome maturation (cathepsin fusion)
- has adapted to the acidic phagolysosome by producing superoxide dismutase
All of the following are characteristic lab finding of rickettsioses EXCEPT -
Characteristic laboratory findings -
- Normal or low white blood cell [WBC] counts, elevated hepatic enzyme levels
How addition of hydroxychloroquine to doxycycline for treatment against C. burnetii helps?
Addition of hydroxychloroquine to doxycycline against C. burnetii helps to - alkalinize the phagolysosome
Hydroxychloroquine increases lysosomal pH in antigen-presenting cells by two mechanisms: As a weak base, it is a proton acceptor and via this chemical interaction, its accumulation in lysozymes raises the intralysosomal pH
What is the drug of choice of rocky mountain spotted fever in pregnant patients
Drug of choice for the treatment of both children and adults with rocky mountain spotted fever is doxycycline, except when the patient is pregnant
Pregnancy - Treatment with chloramphenicol, a less effective drug, is advised only for patients who are pregnant
Which is the most frequently detected “atypical” organism in community-acquired pneumonia in adults?
Community-acquired pneumonia in adults - M. pneumoniae is the most frequently detected “atypical” organism.