Peau d’orange – Orange peel skin
Causes of peau d’orange –
- Pseudoxanthoma elasticum
- Inflammatory breast cancer
- Graves’ dermopathy- Pretibial myxedema
What is the common mechanism of Orange peel skin?
Phenomenon in which hair follicles become buried in edema, giving the skin an ‘orange peel appearance’.
- Peau d’orange on the breastseen in Inflammatory breast cancer,
- Inflammatory breast cancer – rare and very aggressive disease in which cancer cells block lymph vessels in the skin of the breast.
- This type of breast cancer is called “inflammatory” because the breast often looks swollen and red, or inflamed
Pseudoxanthoma elasticum – Where the peau d’orange is observed?
Peau d’orange occur in the eye due to breaks in Bruch’s Membrane called angioid streaks, which are common in pseudoxanthoma elasticum