Ormeloxifene is also known as –
All of the following are TRUE about Centchroman EXCEPT –
B. Low dose progestrone
C. Taken once per week
D. Effective for dysfunctional uterine bleeding
Ormeloxifene is a –
A. Selective estrogen receptor modulator
B. Selective estrogen receptor degrader
C. Selective progesterone receptor modulator
D. Aromatase inhibitors
Ormeloxifene – used as a weekly oral contraceptive
SERMs- Mechanism of Action-
Stimulate estrogenic actions – liver, bone and cardiovascular system
Block estrogen action – breast and the uterus [where stimulation is not desirable].
Mechanism of Action – Ormeloxifene
- Some cases ovulation occur later than normal but did not affect ovulation in the majority of women,
- Lining of the uterus – build more slowly.
- It speeds the transport of any fertilized egg through the fallopian tubes more quickly than is normal .
- This combination of effects creates an environment such that if fertilization occurs, implantation will not be possible
Trade names for Centchroman –
- Novex-DS, Centron, and Sevista.
Centchroman currently available free-of-cost for the women in India –