Where is adrenal cortex situated?
adrenal cortex forms the outer three-quarters of the gland
What are the Hormones secreted by Adrenal Cortex ?
The adrenal cortex secretes – three major types of steroid hormones:
- aldosterone – called mineralocorticoid
- sex hormones.
What are the three layers of adrenal cortex?
Histologically, the adrenal cortex is divided into three layers, or zones
- Outer zona glomerulosa – secretes only aldosterone.
- Middle zona fasciculata – secretes mostly glucocorticoids
- Inner zona reticularis – secretes mostly androgens, the sex hormones dominant in men.
|Adrenal Cortex Zone||Zone||Hormones|
|2||zona fasciculata||Middle||glucocorticoids||11-deoxycorticosterone |
|3||zona reticularis||Inner||androgens||dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)|
DHEA sulfate (DHEA-S)
Where is adrenal medulla situated?
- adrenal medulla occupies – one fourth of inner mass of adrenal gland
- composed of modified sympathetic ganglia
- secrete catecholamines
Which is the primary precursor of natural estrogens ?
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is the primary precursor of natural estrogens.
DHEA is also called dehydroisoandrosterone or dehydroandrosterone.
What are the major effects of Aldosterone on Kidney?
|Aldosterone effects||distal convoluted tubule and collecting duct of the kidney|
|increased reabsorption of sodium|
|increased excretion of potassium||By Principal Cells|
|increased excretion of hydrogen ions||By Intercalated Cells Of The Collecting Duct|