What is the Diagnosis in IMAGE?
A. Schaumann body
B. Asteroid body
C. Hirano body
D. Aschoff body
Schaumann body is seen in which condition?
Schaumann bodies are calcium and protein inclusions inside of Langhans giant cells as part of a granuloma.
Many conditions can cause Schaumann bodies, including:
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis,
- uncommonly – Crohn’s disease and tuberculosis.
What is asteroid body?
- Asteroid body is a microscopic finding seen within the giant cells of granulomas in sarcoidosis.
- Asteroid bodies are not specific for sarcoidosis
- Also seen in – other lymphadenopathies such as silicone lymphadenopathy.
What is the composition of asteroid body?
Radiating filamentous arms contain complex lipoproteins, calcium, phosphorus, silicon, and aluminum.