ALL of the following are TRUE about Ghon focus EXCEPT –
A. Primary lesion
B. Usually seen in subpleural location
C. Most commonly seen in Upper zone
D. Small area of granulomatous inflammation
What is the classical location of Ghon Focus?
- Cassical location for Ghon focus or primary infection is surrounding the lobar fissures,
- Commonest location is either in the upper part of the lower lobe or lower part of the upper lobe
What is Ghon’s complex?
- Ghon focus with involved infection of adjacent lymphatics and hilar lymph nodes, it is known as the Ghon’s complex.
- Also called as primary complex.
What is the clinical implication of Ghon complex ?
Ghons complex retains viable bacteria,
It is a sources of long-term infection, which may reactivate and trigger secondary tuberculosis later in life.
What is Ranke complex?
- Ghon complex undergoes progressive fibrosis and calcification.
- When radiologically detectable as calcification it is called Ranke complex.
- Ranke complex is an evolution of the Ghon complex
- Healing and calcification of Ghon complex leads to Ranke complex.